Monday 17 February 2014

The Iceberg...

Ha! I'm getting caught out here!  The more I do the more I find to do and the more fun I have doing it.

Remember that I had great plans for spending Saturday making aprons - well, 2 hours snatched at the end of the day didn't really fulfill my expectations, but it was a start.  The main problem was that I thought I'd have a quick look to see if I couldn't find any vintage patterns for full aprons before I started.  What a mistake! A search for "vintage aprons" turned up the mother load!

First of all, I reallise that I have some serious work to do with Pinterest because there are some brilliant boards out there and I suspect that my shop can have its own board too.  Haha watch this space but not too closely.  Also some great blogs offering access to patterns that I think I need to organise and possibly list here, haha once I've got more than the basics about this little lot.

I'm reallising that I'm actually quite passionate about my aprons, and aprons in general and delighted to find that, not only am I not alone but there's a whole community out there loving and collecting aprons.  Unfortunately that's going to take some organising - and not a little thinking about - to try to define how I want to contribute to this, and of course I need to be coherent throughout.

I even ended up on something called Craftsy, which does sound like the sistership of Etsy, and I think I should have something to do with that too.

Meanwhile I started on the fur apron - to be called "Racquel" and took quite a long time deconstructing the coat that's furnishing the fur.  I've no idea what the fur is, I don't think its rabbit but, boy, has this coat lived and wierdly I don't think its my little sister who's been making the adjustments and repairs.  Anyway I've managed to find a piece in good enough condition to use for the apron - I'm hoping to do a cushion cover too and then I'll see what I've got left for anything else.  Surprisingly easy to sew.

Right now my studio has got fabric strewn all over it and there are at least another 3 aprons ready to happen if I can just let myself get on with it.  Not today, however.

What photo today?  ah yes the quest for the vintage full apron - inspired by the Christmas Episode of Downton Abbey and Daisy's 1920's apron, maybe I can find a photo... Ha got it, not that easy to find I might add.

Photo of Daisy eating breakfast on set with hipster apron
1920's apron as modelled by Daisy in Downton Abbey
What is brilliant that my research on Saturday turned up a 1920's apron pattern not too dissimilar to this but it was a bit pricey and I decided not to buy it.  I'm sure I can work something out on my own.  I think I'll want a bit of weight to the fabric.  Oooh I can't wait, and yet I'll have to.

Oops nearly got to the end of the post without a link to my shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlamourAprons which is now translated into French, of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment