Saturday 15 February 2014

Getting Back to Sewing... I hope

That was the plan for today anyway.  I've managed to get stuck in front of my computer again, but not for long, nearly done.  I've just hooked up my Etsy shop with Facebook and Twitter and Facebook seems to be having a hard time of it (not helped by me just pumping in the wrong password, I suspect), I've just left it trying to upload whatever it needs to and I've come here.  Saturday morning, I do love Saturdays and today I feel that the muse is upon me.  Haha I should really be careful about that, since, a) I might not get up to my studio to do any sewing and b) whatever I do might be a load of rubbish that doesn't get into the shop.

After a quick check I see that there's only one apron left to show on this before my entire current stock has been displayed
Orange embroidery detail on transparent yellow apron of a tulip
Detail of "Bonnie" Sexy Hostess Half Apron with Tulips embroidered on it.

This is the detail, you'll have to wait to see the whole thing.

I got so excited this morning when I decided that I actually could get around to some sewing and then I ended up having to finish my translations into French. That's right I've finally bitten the bullet and am hoping to get to grips with the French market, I think French women might "get" the dirty kirtle aspect rather well, actually. 

I suspect that when I finally get everything sorted out, and hopefully get selling some aprons I'll only get to spend one a day a week creating my aprons.  The rest of the time is probably going to be spent photographing, preparing the photos for the website, writing the descriptions and translating them.  Not to mention the dispatching of sold items oh yes and sourcing raw materials (mind you that bit is fun too).  All of that is just to do with stock on top of that is various promotional activities, like this blog.

Big sigh, so, I have come to the conclusion that even when you want to earn a living doing something you enjoy, its only ever going to be a fraction of your time that is actually spent doing that, the rest of it isn't.  On the up side, I'd much rather be doing this on the web than trudging around trying to find someone to sell my aprons, or worse, having to sell them myself from a real live shop - haha I'd have to have a lot more than five, wouldn't I?  And there, you go, there's no such thing as an apron shop, is there?  I dare say that if I wanted to set up some sort of exclusive boutique in Paris I might manage, but not out here. And, of course, at least I get to do it some of the time.

Despite the fact that I've spent most of these early posts moaning about the whole internetty web stuff I have to admit that this is definitely the way for me to go and I do quite enjoy the computer stuff. Of course, on a day like today, when I'm chomping at the bit to get to creating I ideas are fair popping out of my head.

Ooops, which reminds me, I wanted to check out vintage apron patterns to see if there wasn't anything that took my fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment