Tuesday 24 March 2015

So, Where Do I Start?

Here is where, I start by writing down what I'm supposed to be doing - incidentally I'm wearing my own utility apron, though I think I'll have to come up with a better name than that.  

My mate Wend suggested that I get in touch with the local "Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie" which I hadn't thought about doing but would probably be as good a place as any to get started.  I'm rapidly getting to the point where I'll have to create the company just to move things along.  

Met with the bank manager last week and she asked me how I'd got the idea of making sexy aprons - embarrassingly I realised that if I'm a serious entrepreneur I should have all this "spiel" off pat, which I didn't but I did remember the first "Glamour Apron" and told her the story of my sister's hen night, so salvaged the moment.  

Think I'll have a bit of a surf for French structures for helping budding businesses. I mean, what am I supposed to do about accountancy? Stock and all that stuff?  There must be an app, but which one? 

Bought some fabric on line last week which was fun (if a bit naughty) but I got inspired by my projected men's range - yup those sexy waiter aprons haven't left me.  Even better, when the fabric I'd bought on line turned up, some of which I had chosen for the men's range the first thing my husband said was "can I have one?" I nearly fell over!  Since I was thinking about the men's cooking aprons I thought that meant that he wanted an apron to start cooking.  The next day, all became clearer; he wanted one of my utility aprons!  Its still brilliant that my entourage is asking me for my stuff - I can't remember any time in the 23 years that we've been married that my husband has actually asked me to make something for him, of course I do make things for him and then get miserable when he doesn't wear/use them but he's never actually asked for anything.

I've decided that this has to be a good sign.  However, unfortunately for hubby he had to get in line because mum's apron was to be the first off the assembly line.  

Mostly green utility apron on stand, front pocket in floral red and orange flowers
Utility apron for gardening/shop keeping mum


The original pattern instructions called for "awesome fabric" for the front pocket.  This is one of my favourite vintage fabric finds and is supposed to be reserved for making a sofa cover but I keep telling myself that I can spare a bit to make this or that.  And last week "that" turned out to be my mum's utility apron.  Yes the name has stuck.  I'm still not quite there with the design but I'm getting there.

Getting this one out there pushed me into getting some documentation sorted out.  Well sorted out is probably a bit generous; I flung together a postcard to try to explain what it is and why she shouldn't be offended to receive an apron as a gift.

I'm getting quite excited about the social implications of the apron and how it is in deeperate need of love and rehabilitation. Without doing any formal research (yet) it looks to me like the sixties saw the end of the apron, or more likely its move into a craft apron because we women got liberated and apparently didn't just burn our bras.  Then we worked out that we still needed aprons so we started wearing men's aprons (the one's I call the barbecue apron).

Last week at my friend Wend's house we were chatting in the kitchen while she made dinner and she'd put on her apron (yes she is on my list of people to get a new apron, but since I'm going to design it specially for her it might take some time) and she pointed to the back of the kitchen door: a whole load of aprons.  I realise that I too have the collection of aprons hanging up in the kitchen and you know what they're all the horrid barbecue variety often with something funny written on it but not really loveable.

So that's my mission to get people back to loving their aprons.

Looks like the name "utility apron" is going to stick by the way.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, hubby really, really wanted that apron so, in the end I dug up my prototypes and had him try them on.  First lesson: he wasn't that keen on tying it behind. Second lesson: he really really didn't like the zips.  So he ended up with the sugar bee crafts prototype and promptly stuffed it to the gills with mobile phone, keys, gloves, hat, tissues, torch and specs. So, there will be a fourth utility apron: the man apron.


Still need to find something to gauge a price for rental of my facilities, my first attempt at contacting an accountant ended with an automated email reply saying "busy for a month go away" which didn't really make me want to work with them.  I suspect I can do my own accountancy anyway, but I do need some way of keeping the books.  Get thee hence to the Chamber of Commerce woman!  

No comments:

Post a Comment